Online research from PriceGrabber today revealed Black Friday shopping data from its site showing continued growth as consumers go online to kick off this holiday season on Thanksgiving Day.
Popular product categories from Black Friday include: Electronics, Computers, Clothing, Cameras and Video Games.
PriceGrabber estimates the total volume of merchant referrals generated to sellers on Black Friday has increased 47 percent over last year with an average order referral of $431.
According to JupiterResearch, "Online buying continues to grow, relatively unfettered by macroeconomic factors. In fact, online retail sales for the 2007 holiday season will increase by 20 percent over sales for the 2006 season to surpass $39 billion."
PriceGrabber is a resource to shoppers - helping them find the right product, from the right retailer, at the best price.
The site also offers insight on consumer shopping behavior and trends.
Top surprises from Black Friday
1. Black Friday shopping started on Thursday - consumers started shopping online earlier than expected this year with a 54 percent growth year over year in traffic to merchants on the Thanksgiving holiday.
2. Video Games - The Nintendo Wii dominated the hotly-contested video game console marketplace with a sales lead increase of 467 percent over 2006, easily beating the Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2.
3. The Microsoft Zune beat all models in the Apple iPod line in searches this year. Interest in the Zune, has increased 246 percent in recent days and receives 13.3 percent of all inquiries in the MP3 market. The Zune offers a lower price point compared to similar players and includes a built-in FM Tuner.
4. Clothing picks up speed - Women's apparel has seen an increase of more than 100 percent over the last six weeks leading into the holiday season. Leading the most popular clothing categories are women's shoes and handbags.
5. Toys made in the U.S.A. - Statistics show that there has been a 650 percent increase in keyword searches of "Made in USA" on
PriceGrabber year over year. PriceGrabber's Holiday Shopping Survey revealed that 73 percent of online shoppers said that it is important this holiday season to purchase products that are made in the USA. With recent reports of the possibility of the millions of toys manufactured in China being recalled for lead contamination and loose magnets, toys are going to be closely scrutinized this holiday season.
Top-selling Products on Black Friday
1. Nintendo Wii Console
2. Microsoft Zune 30GB Media Player - Brown
3. TomTom ONE 3rd Edition GPS
4. Activision Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock Bundle
5. Canon PowerShot SD1000 Silver Digital Camera
6. Microsoft Office 2004 Student and Teacher
7. Western Digital My Book Essential Edition External 500GB Hard Drive
8. Magellan Maestro 3100 GPS
9. Canon PowerShot SD750 Digital Camera
10. Canon EOS Regel XTi Black SLR Digital Camera
Top-Selling Product Categories on Black Friday
2007 Top Product Categories
1. Plasma & LCD TVs
2. Digital Cameras
3. GPS Navigation Systems
5. MP3 Players
9. Women's Handbags
10. Computer Flash Memory
If we compare this to last years product categories you can see that the number one and number two most popular products have swapped over and there has been a new entry from Computer Flash Memory.
2006 Top Product Categories
1. Digital Cameras
2. Plasma & LCD TVs
3. MP3 Players
6. Women's Handbags
7. GPS Navigation Systems
8. Fine Jewelry & Watches
9. Living Room Furniture
10. Xbox 360